Thursday 4 March 2010

Smoking ====# ~~~ Sexy? Seductive?...Let's See..


Well, personally I can not see why people find smoking attractive! It smells, it stains and potentially kills. However, I have tried it :-( Hypocrite right? When I tried it, I nearly choked and spent the rest of the night being sick - perhaps now you can see they I fail to see smoking as an attractive hobby.


With regards to media and film, I can see the relevance of smoking and can't deny that I'm impressed by how much of an effect it had in the industry! Admittedly, the only film that sticks out in my mind, where I remember smoking being used in a sexy and seductive way is GREASE. This is a classic example of films using cigarettes to expose a character in a desirable and alluring way.
However, after doing some research into the topic I uncovered that the following -
  • Humphrey Bograt smoked in a number of films such as Casablanca. Hes notd in the film industry for creating a new level of popularity toward smoking. The majority of the characters he played were tough guys, their bad boy image became more appealing when Bogart was smoking a cigarette. HOWEVER, although this portrayal was seen as attractive, the reality is very different. Smoking took Bogart's life in the end, the unfortunate truth is that Cigarette smoking can kill and effects your health.
Things are very different in today's society. Today, smoking is exposed in a negative way on so many levels! Thoughts have changed and the government is now looking at smoking in films in a different way. It has now been labelled as a cause of bad behaviour and people believe its projecting a negative image to teenagers, teaching them that smoking is cool and acceptable. This fairly recent news article includes a modern outlook on smoking and the extreme views held by authourities towards its involvement in films.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8194253.stm


2 comments:

  1. I believe that Smoking within the media and entertainment industry can appear to be quite sexy! Although, I am personally against smoking! I know what a hypocrite but it seems to work for actors/actresses more so along with their sex appeal.

    I mean I don't think for a second that anyone would say that the moment Sandy from 'Grease' transformed herself into a sex bomb, with the fag in her mouth, appears to be bad, but would rather agree and say it's sexy. I found it to be quite sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that’s smoking isn’t attractive .But my perspective is from a smoker. When I first started smoking I thought it was cool and mature. I had the same affects you experienced, the taste was horrific, and I chocked on the smoke. But because of the characteristics of it being, what popular people do and ill look older and sexy I continued to pursue it. I tried it again and again until now I’m addicted and totally regret my decisions to start.

    I agree it does make a great affect in the film industry and television. Many films and TV programmes feature smoking but it does send the wrong messages to the audience. Your example of Grease, it portrays smoking as sexy and seductive and part of enjoying life. When really it is cancerous, and if bad breath and yellow teeth is sexy you’ve got a problem, but also it ends life.

    ReplyDelete